A week inland and the Great Ocean Road

A week inland and the Great Ocean Road

After the Warrumbungles, we started heading down to Warrnambool to drive the Great Ocean Road.

With a lot of driving and staying in a lot of so-so camps without internet reception, blogging about the trip took the back seat for awhile, so the following is mostly a catch up before we head into Melbourne tonight to stay with a friend and spend a few days in the city.

Quite honestly, I forget a lot of the details of our last five nights, but I do have some pictures.

The first night was spent in Yanco, just near Narrandera, which was very beautiful, but had millions of mosquitoes.

A little bit of kinda failed light painting in Yanco.

Flowers and my foot in Yanco

River and grasses in Yanco.

The set up in Yanco.

The river in Yanco.

Next stop was Echuca, where we wandered around a little bit in the blazing, 35 degree heat, and then set up camp on the river.

Something about that river (probably the tourist company renting out speedboats and waterskis) made it apparently perfect location for super intense, noisy, splashy water sports.

It was also a terrible place to swim due to the very shallow water and extremely thick mud, only accessible down a huge, vertical cliff-face.

That didn’t stop me giving it a red hot go, though, and Felix spent half an hour wiping the mud off my feet with ALDI baby wipes so I wouldn’t filth up the tent too much.

Not one of my more glamourous moments.

I didn’t take any pictures from this location, because it wasn’t very pretty and had more mosquitoes than anywhere else in the world.

The next night we stayed Just out of Warrnambool, where I also took no photos due to unattractiveness.

I did, however, take pictures of the Woollen Mill in Bendigo, because THAT was exciting.

The next port of call was The Great Ocean Road which, as usual, was spectacular.

We camped in a beautiful little spot along the road in the Otway National Park, with only five camping places.

I don’t know what happened between Warrnambool and the national park, but it got COLD. Like, ten degrees cold.

Shivering with four layers on and not being able to sleep properly, we thought to ourselves that at least it’s not 40 degrees anymore, but this is insane.

The horde of German backpackers who squeezed into someone else’s camping spot and proceeded to play guitar and drinking games all night were also a minor setback.

Alex, being cold.

The next morning, we went to the beautiful Otway Fly Treetop Walk and walked high in the treetops.

And then, last night, we stayed in the Allenvale Mill Camping Area which is a walk-in campground 230 metres from the carpark.

It was beautiful there, with kangaroos, koalas, kookaburras, toilets and rainwater. In order of importance.

We packed up in the rain, and are now a little soggy, but Geelong is sunny and Melbourne is just an hour away.

Excuse my lack of captions/humour, but everyone’s a bit tired, dirty, damp and worse-for-wear, so just writing a post is about as much as I can achieve right now.

I’m optimistic that my friend, Leeanne, has a shower, so there’s light at the end of the tunnel anyway.